Argyro Graphy: "My books teach the values I was brought up with: kindness, respect and honesty."
1. Can you start by telling me a little bit about yourself?
I am a Canadian author, my background is retail, customer service and the education field for the last 35 years.
2. When did you first realize that you wanted to be an author and when did you publish your first book?
I always wanted to write from a young age but bullying, harassment and discrimination
prevented me from pursuing my dream. Forty years later seeing more and more kids being bullied at a younger age, I created Bentley the Hippo to teach the values I was brought up with: kindness, respect, honesty.
3. How many books you have published so far?
With the 3 being published in the next few weeks it will be 18.
4. Where do you get your inspiration from and can you tell me about your writing schedule?
I write from the heart and from experience, not formal training/education.
How many hours per day do you spend on your books?
I am building Bentley as a brand beyond books so I am constantly working, sometimes as many as 15 hours a day.
5. Can you tell me a little bit about your books?
Bentley and his friends all have special needs. I did this on purpose after my own experience. A routine eye procedure robbed me of my sight overnight and I am legally blind in one eye. People started treating me differently, but I am still the same person. SO I revealed in my 3rd book the challenges. I did this to show children that even with challenges, they should never give up.
6. What do you intend to achieve through your books and where can people purchase them? Bentley has been officially announced in the media in several countries as the Kindness to All advocate for Kids and so I am launching the Kindness Projects to involve children. My books are available on amazon, other major retailers as well as my website bentleythehippo.com
7. What do you like to do when you are not writing?
I don’t do much outside of my writing, creating and also helping other authors. I am still adjusting to my new life and my own new daily struggles.
8. What have you learnt in creating your books so far?
How important my messages are and the impact my stories have had on children.
9. What advice would you give to other authors?
Don’t rate your success or author journey comparing yourself to others. This journey is a hard one, and you will stumble, but as long as you hold on to your dream and keep your eye on where you want to go, you will be fine.
10.Do you provide other services to help other authors?
I help authors with an array of things from illustration setups, promotions, marketing.
11.How do you market your books?
About a hundred different ways. I run promotions and giveaways, contests, gift packs. Social media is not my passion, and for the most part I find it stressful. I have to limit my time on the computer to ensure I don’t damage my good eye.
12. What are your plans for the future?
Expanding Bentley worldwide.
13. Do you have more publications on the way?
My 5th and final in series one is being illustrated. I have 16 stories written and edited waiting for illustrations and I am now setting up the 4 Kindness Projects which also include books.
Two of my books are:
1. The Adventures of Bentley Hippo: Inspiring Children to be Kind
2. The Adventures of Bentley Hippo: Inspiring Children to be Patient
They can be found on my website https://bentleyththipp.com
As well as Amazon:
“Be Kind” https://www.amazon.com/dp/1989486096 and
“Be Patient” https://www.amazon.com/dp/1989486282
My handles are:
https://facebook.com/argyrography1 as well as
Twitter and Instagram are both @bentleyhippo1
More exciting News:
Bentley Hippo has been announced and accepted into schools as the Kindness to All Advocate for Kids and that we are launching our Kindness to All Projects May 1st ..We are starting with Kindness to Each Other, followed by Kindness to Animals, Kindness to Our environment and Kindness to Ourselves.
Kids will receive 30 days of kindness activities and will submit their drawings and their blurbs which we will publish in a book.
They will get a copy of the book as well we will be donating a book.
They will get a participants gift as well anyone that completes all four projects will receive a Kindness Certificate as well.
Registrations open April 12, 2021
So that is exciting and keeping me busy.
Wishing Argyro the best of luck with all of her gorgeous books.